Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Touches of Christmas



It's a cold and windy day today. Yesterday the snow fell all day leaving it damp and miserable to be out-doors.
And it's dark now by 5:30pm.
Even though the calendar says different it feels like winter is here.

My mind is busy with ideas of how to keep our resident critters fed and comfortable over the cold months ahead.
Many will hibernate and some will be in cozy dens.
The birds need a lot of help, though.
Chickadees can lose 1/3 of their weight just from shivering overnight.
Many don't make it to spring. :(
But...if they are lucky enough to reside at Fox Grove, well, they will be ok.
I'll see to it.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in my cluttered country cottage china cupboard.

And Wilson has been busy checking over the stockings that may need some mending 
and a bit of bling added this year.
He's particularly interested in finding one with his name on it.
He just needs to learn how to spell.



Annie has the perfect spot for bird-watching and scaring off the cheeky squirrels that climb the side of the house.


I've had lots of luck hand-feeding our chickadees but the blue-jays are much more shy.
I'll work on this years' brood that now reside here.


If I look to be rushing with Christmas it is because I get quite busy with cat-sitting closer to the big day and need to be done the decorating and shopping so I can enjoy the festivities.

I hope everyone is well and beginning to look forward to the Season of Christmas.

Sunday is Remembrance Day and we will take time to thank the veterans and shed a tear for all the fallen soldiers.
I pray for Peace in this world.
We must learn to love one another.

be kind,
Deb

12 comments:

  1. Our weather is strange too going from cold to warm,rainy and windy in a matter of days. While we have not had the snow yet, we can tell Winter is coming.
    I also like to feed chickadees and it is a battle to get them food and keep the squirrels away.
    We also purr and pray for peace.
    Have a good week,
    Nancy and the kitties

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a really cold and windy here today. We love Wilson looking for his Christmas stocking. Maybe he thinks a little present maybe already in there. Hope the little ones will be ok after this winter season is over. Thanks for the share. Have a great rest of your weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bird must be quite trusting.

    My parents placed a small shelf, perhaps a foot long, outside a second floor window at their house, and in the mornings would put some peanuts out on it, usually unshelled. The birds would come in quickly for them. That was in addition to the feeders out all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, look at that little chickadee eating from your hand. You beat all! That is so sweet! Christmas will be here before we know it. Where did October go? and half of November? Your little cupboard looks perfect. It is beautiful and I love those Christmas mugs. Sure love that Wilson, and sweet Annie too. Wouldn't surprise me for Wilson to be spelling his name soon. Love, Henny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see the little chickadee eating from your hand! They do love you. The touches of Christmas you have added look warm and full of love just as Christmas should be. It is especially wonderful to see sweet Annie and adventurous Wilson! This will be a fun Christmas for Wilson and for you. Our cats love Christmas with all the decorations and pretties all over the house. I'm sure cats must think Christmas is a special holiday just for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a amazing pictures the first two...is That your hand...Yes the Christmas Bells ringing.....lovely sunday love Ria x ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so amazing how that chickadee eats right from your hand! It's a chilly 29 degrees here right now, which is cold for this area. These photos are all awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in such a lovely place and all the birds that eat from your hand. It's magical. Oh Wilson, I bet there will be a stocking with your name on it. Annie is beautiful as always and I had a memory of Audrey just now. Then I thought of my Charlie. Sweet, happy memories. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I see a post from you, I rush to open it first! Oh, Wilson -- your first Christmas here. It could be great fun!

    I love your bird-in-the-hand photos. They are so precious to me. I'm glad you posted because I miss your regular updates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love is all we need!
    Wilson, you don't need to know how to spell...just follow your nose to the stocking with catnip in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that first picture is a fabulous action shot. I hope as many birds as possible come to visit Fox Grove, if only for an occasional meal. It sounds like it will be a good Christmas for the animals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did that cute little Wilson find his socking? Hope so. Annie is a beautiful as ever. So sweet to see them and all the photos. Glad you are prepared for your and the critters' winter.
    Lily

    ReplyDelete