Pages

Friday, August 9, 2019

Simon

If you have been a reader of this blog you will remember Simon. I want to let everyone know that our dear little Simon never surfaced from his den this spring/summer. I watched for him daily and left his favorite treats at the front hole where I last saw him in November. But we have not seen hide nor hair of him all summer. :-(
Simon was our trained chipmunk who would show up when called, follow me to the gardens and watch from the fence post and he kept us entertained with his silly antics with his chipmunk friends. He made a den 4 years ago under my grandmothers' old well pump and there he would be every spring to live another summer and fall with us taking care of his every need. lol
I miss him. But I have learned that they only live 5 years so I guess the little monkey had a full life.
There are lots of new chippies here and I love watching them at the feeders filling their mouths 'til they almost burst and running about like lunatics. They really are so cute. Perhaps some are off-spring of Simon's; I would guess they are. And a few have found the den opening at the pump and are starting to stock up their pantries for winter. Just like Simon did. 
I don't think that little fella knew he was only a chipmunk. He needed company and enjoyed being around us. He reminded me of the kitten that looks in the mirror and sees a lion looking back.
Simon had a big personality. 
That is him in my header. :-)

So farewell to little Simon. I have had a few tears over losing him and now I have stopped watching for him and I hope that there will be a little Simon who will make himself present and perhaps be a 'chip' off the old block.
We will welcome you. :-)

Rest in Peace, Simon.

Deb


18 comments:

  1. Owww such a sad news...poor you poor Simon.....love from me Ria ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beings that come in and out of our lives become a part of us; we share are air, molecules, atoms even. When our friends are gone, the hole that they leave is real. Tme fills in the void, but it's never quite the same, and we can only be glad that our friend was near us in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about Simon - but its sounds like his offspring may follow in his foot steps and keep you company. I keep the sunflower seeds I put out for mine in the trunk of my car - they know what the car unlock sounds like and the sound of the trunk opening and show up every morning to collect their seeds before the cardinals chase them away. Some time they even come running when I just unlock or lock my care - give me great pleasure to start the day off with them and my three cats find it entertaining to watch them lol. Have enjoyed your blog for years - thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww..precious litte Simon....bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, so sorry to hear that Simon has not returned. I loved seeing pics of him on your blog. I agree that some of the chipmunks around your place are probably kin. Perhaps one will have picked up on Simon's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer to think Simon moved to a new house to help his wife raise the littles, and that he will be back again some day. :)

    It's been so hot here in Upstate NY. I like to stand in the pool and watch the bird feeders a mere 2 feet away. If I stand real still and make no noise, I get to enjoy squirrels and chipmunks and bunnies and birds, lots of birds. So peaceful and I get cooled off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simon was a lucky guy to have you there for him and you were lucky to have him. I always enjoyed hearing about all his funny antics. He surely was one special chippie! I have no doubt some of the new ones around your home are children and maybe even grandchildren of Simon. I am sad and very sorry that he is no longer around but you never know what little tricks his offspring might learn and surprise you with when you least expect it! Love to you and all those sweet little chippies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad but sweet Deb. Thank you for sharing Simons adventures over the years, they always make us smile. We don't have chipmunks or squirrels here, so to us they seem such sweet little creatures and we are charmed by their adventures.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. RIP to Simon. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, that's so sad. We're sorry your dear friend Simon is gone. Hopefully a new little fella will grace your garden to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so sorry. He was such a special little friend and so easy to love. I sure feel your pain. It is so sad to watch and hope and wonder what happened. Little Simon sure had a full and happy life there with you folks. Bless his little heart, and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very sorry to read this. Perhaps he died during the winter, passing away in his sleep. I suspect so. The poor guy. Maybe he's eating apple on the edge of the medow by the Rainbow Bridge, right now. Godspeed, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've noticed that over the years and the places we have lived, we have become quite possessive of the wildlife around us--'our deer'--'our foxes'--'our bluebirds!' I grieve when I know that our cats have caught a chipmunk, or bird, trying to remember that 'nature' isn't balanced or necessarily kind.
    I hope that one of Simon's offspring will prove to be a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always loved Simon and how he just wanted to be with you -- the people. It was a special bond. He knew and understood you and gave you the gift of his company in exchange for yours. I know you miss him sorely and I hope that some of these newbies will develop a bit of the Simon personality and become your newest friend. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. awww, sad to hear about Simon, he was such a cheery little fellow & a delight to read about (just like the cats & birds) hopefully one of his offspring will take over the little house under the pump...
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm so sorry :(
    I'm sure Simon was a big personality and your friend. I hope he's jumping from a tree to a tree, free and happy behind the rainbow bridge right now <3

    ReplyDelete