Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Two well-loved Maggies.

A photo of Tasha Tudor showed up on a favorite blog of mine http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/ today and it instantly brought a memory back to a time when I could see my grandmother in her garden choosing the best of everything for that night's dinner; her tabby cat, Maggie, always by her side.
It would be a sight that was to remain etched in my mind forever.

Tasha Tudor
(source)
My grandmother resembled Tasha as her long grey hair was always tied up in a knot and she would garden in a dress and her apron that  hung in the old summer shed right outside the kitchen door.
She, too, had a kind face.

Tasha Tudor
(source)
This is my favorite photo.
Tasha Tudor
(source)
Many of Tasha Tudor's fabulous illustrations included her trusty little tabby cat.
all images from internet

Tasha Tudor
(source)

I loved my gran's little Maggie.
Back in those days, country cats did not get spayed very often so dear little Mag had a litter of kittens every summer.
As kids, we were more than thrilled to find a pile of sweet little kitten faces peaking out of a basket that my gran would have prepared for them in the attic.
It just added to the excitement of staying at the farm for two weeks once school was out.
City-slicker kids in the country.
The kittens always found good homes; my gran made sure of that.

I don't remember now how long little Maggie lived but I expect she had a nice long life.
Most of it was spent on my grandmother's lap, lost in her apron.
My gran cried when she died.


Many, many years after those lazy, hazy days of summer I brought home a wee ball of fluff from a rescue; an eight week old silver tabby persian.
Her face would melt you.
I named her Maggie.
 with daughter, Allie.

She was my special girl for eighteen years.
=^..^=

hugs, Deb

24 comments:

  1. Marvelous shots of your grandmother, and two beautiful Maggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely had to name her Maggie! How wonderful!
    Sweet memories...thanks for sharing them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful memories! I can remember my grandmother making ravioli for her grandbabies, and how we couldn't wait to eat it all up! I can still hear her voice in my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post today Deb. Thank you for sharing. Your Maggie was indeed beautiful. Miss Pippi follows me everywhere & often into the garden. Perhaps I need to don an old apron & have some pics taken for the future :-) What a lovely thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet story! made me cry ...
    both Maggies are gorgeous, i miss my friends so much too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasha Tudor is one of my favorite authors and I have quite a collection of her books, some even signed by her. How blessed you are to have had such a grandmother and so many precious memories of your grandmother and cats & kittens.

    I love reading and re-reading Tasha's books especially because she fills them with illustrations of cats, dogs, and children and simple stories that remind us all of the precious ones in our lives , even if our lives are not quite as picturesque as hers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Deb, I absolutely adore Tasha Tudor. I have one of her books with the first three pictures but I've never seen the one with the apples. Your grandmother sounds very special and very sweet. No wonder you grew up loving cats. Your little Maggie was so pretty. Eighteen years! If only we didn't have to go through the pain of losing them. and on your last post...that does look like a bear print! Would it be a black bear>\?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this wonderful story of your grandma and her Maggie. Your Maggie was a beautiful kitty too. Your Maggie looks exactly like my Poopsie, she lived 19 1/2 yrs.
    Audrey is an exact duplicate looks and personality wise as our Jasmine.....I love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice. What wonderful memories of your Grandmother. And the sweet Maggie's in your life! We lost our big tuxedo tom in September. A real heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the pictures/images are absolutely
    wonderful...The grey haired grandmother
    with her Maggie is very moving!
    And..Pussy~cat Maggie at the very end...
    Amazing! Look at that face! :).

    It's funny! I remember as a boy our cat
    having kittens every year, they were there
    a day or two..then disappear..it was'nt till
    years later, l found out my Dad used to drown
    them, down the toilet of all places!
    Think l'll leave it there...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely post. Tasha Tudor sounds and also looks like a wonderful wise and kind person. Your descriptions of your childhood with your grandmother sound so idyllic. Lovely little Maggie, your words brought a lump to my throat as I lost my special girl last summer after twenty years:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely memories Deb, thanks for sharing. I have wonderful memories of my grandmother at her farm too.
    I enjoy anything Tasha Tudor. So relaxing reading her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my; what a lovely memory story & just like your tale of Lily & Mr Ed a couple weeks ago, I cried. Our fur children certainly do get wrapped around our hearts of which makes me feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice post, Deb. It's so wonderful to love a cat. Timothy is on my lap now.
    Tasha Tudor is a favorite of mine, too. Your granny sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful memories. Maggie was a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the story of the two Maggies -- and how wonderful to name your girl after your gran's. The photos here are beautiful. Tasha Tudor has such a wonderful face.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, I love Tasha Tudor. I have a few books that she illustrated and a few more books about her life. She was something. I loved hearing about your grandmother and her sweet Maggie. And yours! Have a wonderful day!
    xo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those images make me think of home - not my home, but what should be everyone's home. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Tasha Tudor. Love all your pics and of course you named her Maggie. Of course you did. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  20. Boy, all I can say is "ditto" to what everyone above has written.
    Have loved Tasha Tudor books always. My grandma was a lot like her too and, like you, I have such sweet memories of her and her cat.
    Thank you for a wonderful post. Nebraska ><>

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet story to share with us. I understand, shedding tears myself, over several "special friends". They become part of your life....always giving, expecting nothing in return. Thanks for your comment today...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our Maggie was a big beautiful calico. She was so wise and wonderful, and was with us 12 years. I miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is a Tasha Tudor cook book. I wonder what type of recipes she might have. Interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete