Pages

Monday, February 27, 2017

"What's with you?" & Blueberry Cake.

Standing at the feeders, filling the broken one with a mix of seed and nuts, I turned to leave and got a wonderful surprise; one, like when you unexpectedly bump into an old friend.
There was Simon, halfway out of his winter den, squinting in the sun-light and looking around as if he wasn't sure where he was.
"Simon", I yelled. I can do that because neighbours weren't out. He never moved, but looked over my way, slowly emerging and sat next to the opening.
"Simon, my little man. It's so good to see you again."
I couldn't get close, as the ice was thick between us, so I threw him some seeds and nuts...and a kiss. :)

*humming*

"What's with you?", retired-guy later asked.
 "Simon's up, HE'S ALIVE :) ...and he looks great. I gave him breakfast." 
"Aw...good for him", he said. 
Haha...I'm not the only wackadoodle that fell for a chipmunk. 


                                                     =^..^=
"And that little varmit will be so spoiled." :( 
"I wonder what he tastes like....hmmmm"
                               
             "A girl can dream"


I am now buying fresh brown eggs weekly from a neighbour up our road who cares for eighty laying hens. Eighty hens that are free-roaming and get to lie in the yard and bask in the sun-shine three seasons a year. It does my heart good to never have to purchase eggs from a supermarket again. It's the best way to protest the unacceptable treatment that factory-raised chickens endure; something that has bothered me very much for a long time.


With my free-range, fresh from the farm eggs, I just had to bake something yummy. I often make this recipe but bake it in muffin cups. I call them blueberry mini cakes.

                                   Best Blueberry Cake
1/2 c butter melted and cooled slightly
2 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c fresh blueberries
Set oven to 350 degrees
sift flour,sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl
In a small bowl, whisk butter, milk, eggs and vanilla.
Stir wet ingredients into dry just until mixed.
Fold in berries.
Either scrape the batter into prepared pan or into muffin cups.
I then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top.
Bake 55 min. for cake
or 28 min. for mini cakes in muffin tins.

These mini cakes are a bit denser than muffins and oh, so delish.

Great with tea.

We had +10C by noon today. The birds were so active; especially the darling little chickadees.




chickadee

And I spotted my first red-winged black-bird of the season. It sat in our maple tree and sang it's heart out.
Spring surely is just around the corner.

hugs, Deb



29 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad Simon has appeared! Looking forward to photos and stories of him!

    Have a great week, Deb.
    Love,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whey~Hey! Hooray! Bless!
    Simon's about!x Bestest news this
    week/month/year...That's lovely! Ah!
    Sorry Audrey!x but you'll have to take
    second place for a bit..!!!

    Yes! I get fresh brown eggs...organic as
    there called over here..though at the moment
    we bird flu over here, so the chickens are
    being kept inside! Egg boxes are marked with
    a little blue sticker!
    Hope it's not catching...Atishoooooo! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Debs I feel just the same way about Spring; adore it. In our Friday paper there is a long editorial about nature etc., I always read it as it is beautifully written. At the weekend it said get your nesting boxes ready . . . the birds are flirting. Such a lovely way to describe it all. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I enjoyed this post Deb! Simon is alive and well! What a wonderful sense of humor you have..just a blessing! Now I am going to bake your blueberry muffins today! Oh cannot wait.....warm hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Simon! I bet he was thinner! Can't wait to see him when the weather permits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring has burst here in the South and everything is blooming. I was in the UK for a week and it was still grey and cold, but then, it reminded me of my beloved Pacific Northwest and I felt at home. Your blueberry cake will definitely be tried here; my hubby's favorite, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so precious! Welcome back, Simon! How sweet - that you have given him his own little retreat... And he thanked you by coming out to say "hello!"

    I love seeing and watching our dear little backyard friends, too! We also feed the sweet little squirrels and rabbits, and of course, birds! And, I adore hearing about your kitty cats, since I simply adore mine!!! ;)

    Oh, and this country girl loves farm fresh eggs the best, too!

    Blessings!!! Net
    http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes my heart happy to know that Simon is alive! Your world is so full of JOY! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice recipe I intend to use....enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YIPPY ! Simon is ok ! Our lazy Alvin hasn't shown up yet still snoozing . Oh awesome your Red wing black birds are back to . Audrey you leave the rodent alone you sneaky girl who wishes for one on a cracker lol ! I love farm fresh eggs to and we also get them form a local farmer here free range tasted so much better and the yokes are brighter to . Lovely photos , Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to know Simon's still about!

    Blueberries also go good with pancakes, what with today being today...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bunny bowl! It's okay to be whackadoodle for our yard friends, and I love your attitude about eggs and the industries that churn out a product that causes so much suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to know Simon is alive, and it looks like he'll be enjoying a new spring pretty soon. Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Simon! Love the pics... and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to hear that Simon is well. We saw today two of our resident chipmunks - I threw them some peanuts & then the mob of blue jays arrived - yikes! You certainly put out a grand feast for all the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to hear that Simon is still around. It's hard not to get attached to the sweet little wild things.....Love the idea of putting apple slices in the suet feeder. My market sells free-range eggs. They are a bit expensive, but I willingly pay. It's so important to support humane practices with our wallets. Good to see signs of spring. It snowed here last night, though :( Take care xx K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Deb....I made your muffins this afternoon and they are scrumptious! I am going to share your recipe tomorrow if I may! This is a new favorite! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you don't waste any time, Betsy. lol They are a favorite here, too. Even our dog used to love them. :) Yes, please share and thank you for the nice comment.

      Delete
  18. I am so happy to hear that Simon is still around. I can just see him standing there trying to wake up. and Audrey! would she happen to be jealous? Your country eggs are so pretty. I really want to try the blueberry cake. You must be an excellent cook. Looks like everything you bake turns out good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to hear about Simon. We have spring flowers coming up and I've seen robins. What happened to winter? This is the third one we've had with minimal cold spells.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad to hear about Simon. I love hearing about him, Audrey, Annie, and all the other animals. I also love the snow. We have been in the 80s so much of our "winter". With our long, hot summers I dream of cold weather. Love your blog. Linda Richard

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! I'm so happy you saw Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah! Thrilled to know Simon is back and doing well - pix soon hopefully!
    We are silly about our animals aren't we Deb - but what lovely moments they bring to brighten up the day.
    Like the blueberry mini cake idea - just had my daily blues in my brunch yogurt.
    Late getting here, sorry. Celebrated my 10 years of blogging on Monday post and have been busy replying to my fans, haha!

    Hugs from gusty Raleigh today - but sunny and dry.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! What a lovely blog you have! I'm visiting from Estelle's and I can see why she loves your nag so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Deb! This is the happiest news! Simon is alive, awake and hasn't been eaten by the bear! Knowing we'll be spending our summer with the little fellow, hearing his adventures, gets the season off on the right foot! Can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Betsey sent me here, but now that I have arrived, it feels like home...perhaps I have been here before...I think so. Anyway, I love a delicious new recipe and a writer with a fun sense of humor..."I wonder how he tastes." Ha! Congrats on the new home in the country...sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love your photos! And so sweet that your special Simon is okay! Audrey is so funny. :)
    xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  27. A red winged blackbird? Yay!
    Audrey needs to find a warm sunbeam. She's such a smoky beauty!

    ReplyDelete