Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Helping our birds & a cheery fox.

It's getting very cold here and my heart (and pocket-book) goes out to our local birds. They do look cold out there.

 It was time to make suet again, but with all the Christmas preparation, I cut a few corners.
Here's the recipe...

                      Home-made Bird Suet
1 c peanut butter
1 c lard
2 c corn meal
1 c flour
1/3 c sugar 
2 c rolled oats

peanuts, seeds, sugar-free cereal, cranberries and apples. Add enough of each to make it thick and so it can be molded.



Looks good enough to eat. :)

This time, instead of filling muffin cups lined with saran wrap to freeze and distribute as needed, I just put it all on a big cookie tray to cut as needed.
Before cutting, I placed the tray out the side door on a stone to get good and cold. Then it was time to cut into squares, place in a freezer bag and freeze until time for the suet cages.
They absolutely love this suet; much more than the commercial stuff . And...it's "cheap..cheap..cheap..er."

                     But...it won't last long.

                                    Chickadee
Make it easy for yourself during the busy season. I know we are all running here, there and everywhere, but these poor birds do need our help during cold days and nights. I still can't get over the fact that some birds lose up to one third of their weight shivering in one night of -25C. No wonder they need to find extra food to stay alive. We can help them do that.

This is my latest tree ornament.
Isn't she cute.
It's the pearls that kill me. This foxy lady wants wine. :)
My mother's maiden name was Fox so you may find quite a few of these critters on my tree. 
We now live on a piece of the Fox farm. It's a dream come true. :)



Someone is practicing yoga at the moment; perfecting her poses so she can make her way around the tree this year.

I can't even begin to know what is going on in that head.
hugs, Deb

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for reposting your suet recipe. I need to get some lard but then have everything! And yes, they are hungry. I didn't realize, though, about losing 25 percent of their weight shivering. I wish that would happen to me...

    I love your sweet fox. Your tree simply fills me with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute new ornament!

    Audrey, are you thinking of devious thoughts and getting into trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog.Your furry family is so precious.
    My daughter and I went to Merrickville last weekend and took some photographs of the farm animals but yours' are so much better. Adore the one of the pig who reminds me of Wilber : )
    Thanks for the suet recipe.
    Merry Christmas -^..^-

    ReplyDelete
  4. The suet recipe sounds easy, I've just got to remember to try it. It looks a lot better than those we buy at Walmart. The fox is cute as can be. Poppy occasionally sees a fox eating his deer corn when he is sitting up in his deer stand hunting. Last winter he saw a three legged fox. He would never shoot a fox. He rarely shoots a deer. I think maybe he has been around me too long. Audrey does look like she is wondering what to do next. She always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, do keep your camera handy for when Audrey's yoga moves go awry and she pulls down the Christmas tree! I love the foxy lady in pearls. Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best recipe. I will forward it to my mom! Love the fox!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a great bird lady....cat lady....dog lady....you get the idea!
    I need to make that pumpkin bread too!
    Starting to snow this am...looks like we might get our first big snowfall...❄️❄️❄️
    Have a great day Deb...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the bird food recipe, Deb! Your ornaments are soooo cute, and so is Audrey. Yum on your pumpkin bread recipe, too. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Audrey is gonna go after the fox with pearls!

    ReplyDelete