Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Back to wool socks and keeping the home fires burnin'

Well, so much for spring-like weather.
It is -22C (freezing) with bright sun trying to take the chill off. The wind shakes the feeders around which only makes it more of a challenge for our birds. It is still, not a bird in sight. They hide inside the fir trees, in shock, I imagine. :( Not even a squirrel has ventured out.

Feeders are filled, suet cages stocked and apple slices added.

Simon has not been seen again for days. Smart fella. I hope he stays put.

If I can't have spring weather outside then we'll spring things up in the mouse-house.
I dug deeper into my Easter box and added a few pretties to the cluttered country cottage step-back china cupboard. 




Bunnies added for our grands delight.

Baking always softens the blow of winter winds returning to our area. Today it's cookies.
                                       First, my trusty bowl



           Applesauce Oatmeal Pecan Cookies
1 3/4 c four
1/2 tsp sat
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp powdered cloves
1 c unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 c rolled oats
1/2 c pecan pieces
                                         Here goes...
Measure together first five ingredients

In another bowl mix together butter, sugar and egg

In another bowl combine applesauce and soda

Blend into creamed mixture alternating with dry mixture.
Fold in oats and nuts
Spoon onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet.

Bake 18 - 20 min 350 degrees

This is not a very sweet cookie. Delicious with tea or coffee.
So, put the tea on, Sally.
Enjoy!

These are nice to share with friends

Our grand-dog is here for a sleep-over. Not a planned one but it's hard to say "no" to this guy. haha!

Just ignore the profanities coming from the bedroom.
"Audrey...really!"

We celebrate this little guy's first birthday next weekend.

He's now up and motorin' around. Wow, that year went fast.
"Happy Birthday to our little Gus"

                 What a proud day that was for nana and gramps.
                                              1 day old Gus
                                                 Mar. 5/16

hugs, Deb

12 comments:

  1. Poor Audrey!!!! Gus is a year old??!!!! Wow -- time flies. Stay warm.....
    Purrs and hugs .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus is almost one already, wow, times flies. Happy Birthday soon to a cute little guy. Your animals always have the best expressions - of course your photography skills mean so much capturing them!

    Do the cookies remain chewy Deb? I love oatmeal cookies especially, and with applesauce they must be awesome. I'll definitely try baking a batch of these.
    I'm heading to the attic to get the bunnies out of hibernation this morning - I just feel even though Easter's a way off I need to do a dining room table makeover/vignette. I do love the white rabbits, they bring thoughts of Spring too - and of course I wouldn't mind having a china replica of your sweet Simon, if I could find one! All I see in the shops, besides bunnies, are those dastardly squirrels and we certainly have enough of them in the garden!

    Hope the new cold spell is brief up your way. Freeze here again last night but nothing appears damaged - buds still budding thankfully. Birth baths were frozen - I melted them around 8 AM and the birds are showering in lovely sunshine as I write.
    Enjoy this day - thank you for sharing so much loveliness.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I love this post. You are always cheerful, no matter what the weather is like. I'm terrible about letting the weather affect my mood. Forrest is such a beautiful dog, it would be hard to say no. And little Gus, happy birthday! That is such a good picture of you and the retired guy and Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fast year! Happy 1st Birthday Gus :)
    It has been cold here too and the cats were not happy the porch was cold. They are all tucked up in warm spots.
    The woofie is mighty cute but we cats understand how Audrey feels!
    Mum likes the cookies ;)
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresser overflowing with blue and white dishes is glorious!
    Brrrr. So cold. Eat LOTS of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forrest is always good company, even if Audrey doesn't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe that baby is a year old! Goodness!
    Love the little additions to the cupboard and that white bowl is beautiful! I have a weakness for bowls...and cups....and haha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...happy birthday Gus...does that mean I'm a year older too😳
    Enjoy those cookies...they must smell fantastic!
    Bundle up!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It did get cold again here to for a bit but now our temps are rising woke to temps this morning of +3 and going up to 10C with rain most of the week will be warm here with sunshine so I am happy with that , Lovely photos , your grand dog is handsome . WOW ! Gus is one already my my how time fly's . Cookies look yummy . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audrey isn't keen on interspecies friendships, huh! Sometimes we humans feel the same way about other humans, Audrey...just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather is similar here: it was pleasant last week, and now it's back to snow and cold.

    Happy birthday to little Gus. I think one year is an excellent age to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh look at little Gus! I can tell you were/are as smitten as we are! Happiest of birthdays!

    We're having wacky weather. I don't even know how to characterize this winter anymore!

    ReplyDelete