Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

How to eat brussel sprouts

The sun was out bright and early today. After a quick clean up of the house I did my rounds.
Cali

We haven't seen good warm sun for a few days now so it was welcomed today
Ginny
. The morning started with much cat-sitting and kitty grooming
Remember the scaredy-cat? Not anymore.
He loves me now
and a visit to Helma the shepherd. Then over to see our little Riley for awhile.

Since tomorrow is May 1 I have decided to add some new tastes to my palate. Brussel sprouts. I know...gah! but I have just found out that the best way to cook them so they are delish is to saute them in olive oil with garlic, onion and pepper. I have always steamed the little critters and I am fine with that but really they aren't much to talk about are they? So I will fancy up their preparation and learn to love them.
And did you know that good old brocolli is 30% protein? We always think of meat, fish or legumes when we add protein to our diet but no, veggies have much to be considered. I'm happy for that and maybe will throw some in with the sprouts.

I am adding spirulina to the cats food now. I have always emptied 2 cans of cat food and mixed it with pumpkin to make them excellent poopers and now the spiralina is added, too.
My vet says to give them a child's amount so that is what I add. This is to enhance the immune system and Lord knows, at 15, 18, 22 & 24 my senior cats could use it. Sierra is 9 this year so now she too is a senior. Hard to believe with that cute, young face.

If you only feed dry I expect this will be hard to add to their diet. Maybe give in and change it up to more moist food to the dry. It really is better for them and will help keep the pounds off.

Hugs, Deb

6 comments:

  1. I must be a mutant, I LOVE baby brussel sprouts!
    I steam 'em in the microwave, and garnishied with garlicky olive oil and grated asiago cheese they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love them. I partially steam them; cut them in half & saute them in the olive oil garlic mix as well. Best if the flat sides get a bit crispy too! YUM!

    I need to get Ms. Stella on her fave wet food; but sadly Miss Jenga won't touch it. I've tried everything, even some 40.00 powder I sprinkled on top each time. She LOVED the powder but wouldn't touch the wet food.

    I'll try to find the spirulina; whatever that is. Is it human supplement or pet?

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy: It is found in our local health store so I imagine you will find it in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Deb....checkout Brussels Sprouts on my Tea and Scones blog too... amazing what a bit of bacon and a smear of Miracle Whip can do to sprouts....

    love all your babies.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brussel Sprouts..yum. I love them if cooked properly... as you said olive oil and garlic and/or a bit of cooked bacon. If the sprouts are large, sometimes I blanche them or cut them in half. Enjoy and thanks for visiting my blog.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have an order of the garlic sauteed sprouts, please! Usually I steam them with carrots, with some butter and herbs from the garden sprinkled on top, but now I can't wait to try your idea!

    ReplyDelete