Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Missing a bright light!

Christmas is such a wonderful time. We feel so blessed to be sharing the season with family and friends. This Christmas is my first without a certain friend who always *brightened* my Christmas. My funny, silly, lovely friend, Christine.

We met through volunteering for our local animal shelter 18 years ago and became instant friends.
She loved to share Christmas with my kids and our shopping sprees were an adventure. 2005 - modelling our 'bad Christmas sweaters'. 

Attending our local animal shelter's fundraising dinner. 2007. How she loved her dogs and cats.
In 2008, Christine was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. It all seems like a bad dream to me now but the next 2 years would be a time of fear, hope, bonding between friends and her family, sharing, crying and eventually  acceptance. 

Christine lost her battle on Feb. 8, 2010. 

"If I had a day that I could give you, I'd give to you a day just like today"

I'll always miss her

Christine's cat Polly
Christine adopted her when she was diagnosed with cancer. While we were out for breakfast one Saturday, she said to me "I want to save one more cat before I go". Once I caught my breath I said "Let's go now" and we were off to our local pound where the cats very seldom were adopted. Polly was waiting for her and became her little angel for the next 2 years. Now Christine will watch over her. She lives with Christine's partner, Rob & 3 other kitties.

 I started my Just Cats blog on Feb. 17th, 2010, just days after Christine passed away.
I needed something 'new' to begin, something fun and a bit of a challenge. It has been all of that and more. I have loved meeting through our blogs so many creative and interesting people. And so many cat-lovers :) It's been a lot of fun and great therapy.


Hope you are now ready for Christmas. It's been a real pleasure sharing Christmas preparations with all of you. You have certainly made this Christmas more special.
By this time, we have to just throw up our hands and say "Ready or not....here it comes."  
Merry Christmas to you all.
with love, Deb







12 comments:

  1. Deb, My sympathies to you. It's very hard losing such a good friend, too early. I lost a friend to mis-diagnosed breast cancer over ten years ago. I remember all the good times and funny stuff, that's the most important thing! Christine is surely watching over you this season, and all the year round. God Bless and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness.... what a sweet and touching post.....Friends and pets...... touches my heart so deeply!
    Hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. What a beautiful tribute you wrote about her. I love your blog header, BTW. That kitty's expression is priceless - like, "Don't you mess with me - I am the boss!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb it is so hard to loose a good friend like that. What a sweet and loving tribute to her. I can tell she is missed very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you lost your wonderful friend Deb.... how I hate cancer!!! It takes so many great people..

    I'm glad her kitties have a home with her Rob...

    hugs,
    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    What a beautiful tribute to your friend and your loving friendship. I know you miss her terribly. Thanks for your sweet endearing post.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb. Oh, what a touching story about your dear friend. I'm sorry for your loss because I know how hard it is to have to say goodbye to someone we love. But it seems you have many wonderful memories. The fun and sweetness are just oozing out of her eyes in your photos.
    I pray for peace and contentment for you today.
    Blessings,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing in her life you must have been too! Glad that the wonderful posts you send us each day could be a positive thing to come out of such a tragic loss. This time of year I yearn for my Grandma that passed 11 years ago CHRISTmas eve,and my dear Mom who is spending her 4th year as my CHRISTmas angel. My heart goes out to you and you certainly are a treasure to anyone's life you touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a touching post and loving remembrance of a dear friend.

    I hope you and your family and a wonderful Christmas.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big.. Hugs..Your memories of your dear friend are wonderful and she will be with you forever in your heart. Merry Christmas to you & your Family!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb my throat is stuck...my eyes are tearing...my heart is breaking for you....I am so deeply sorry for the loss of your dear, dear friend.
    I can't even begin to imagine the pain you must have felt.
    Your starting a blog shortly after Christine passed was her way of having you share your gifts with the rest of us...you lost a dear, dear friend but you gained soooo many of US who care about you and appreciate you and your wonderful heart.
    Christine is looking down at you with pride and love...
    (((((((((huge hugs))))))) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely tribute to your wonderful friend, Deb; Christine sounds like a lovely woman and I also noticed your sweet, beautiful Maggie's photo on the sidebar=I am very sorry for your huge losses this year...Big hugs, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete