Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Let's poach an egg...a blue egg

My kids tell me I make a great poached egg on toast. I'll take flattery anywhere I can get it.

This morning I ate The Best One Yet because I made it from one of these blue eggs. I'm pretty sure I could have challenged Martha Stewart in the kitchen and won this round.

I was gifted with a dozen fresh eggs from Natalie at http://knatolee.blogspot.ca/ that her hens so generously laid for me.  "Thank you, ladies."

Don't you just love hens? I think I want some of my own soon.
Look at the dark yellow yolk. It was full of flavour and so fresh.
I placed it on a slice of whole wheat toast bought from Bob's bakeshop in Almonte. What a great combination.

Here's how I poach an egg. It comes out perfect everytime.
Bring water to a boil and add 1/2 tsp. of white vinegar and a pinch of salt.
Once boiling, take the pot off the burner and place the egg in the pot.
Turn down the burner from medium to simmer and put the pot back on until you see the white of the egg fully cooked. The center will stay soft. Lift it out with a strainer spoon.

You can spoon some of the water over the center if you want to cook it more.  Place on hot toast, add salt and pepper if so desired and enjoy. Just looking at it makes me hungry again.
The second piece of toast was covered in honey from Natalie's farm, too. Best honey, ever. Her blog is full of wonderful information on hobby farming. She can tell you everything you need to know about bee-keeping & raising ducks and chickens. You'll meet her adorable dogs and four entertaining cats.

I am still enjoying beautiful cut flowers in a gorgeous black vase that I received for Mother's Day. The tulips are from my daughter's garden. She has my mother's green thumb.

Right after breakfast I headed out with Kane. We walked for an hour and he enjoyed the cooler weather. He even walks faster without the sun beating down on him.

Then it was time to bake The Best Banana Bread EVER.
I found this amazing recipe at http://anextraordinaryday.net/the-best-banana-bread-recipe-blogiversary-giveaway/. Well, it turned out that this is one of the best recipes I have tried. Even Kane gave it 'two paws up'. Yes, he loves banana bread. So, I'll pass this on to you and all you have to do is pop over to this blog and the recipe is waiting for you. Lots of great photos of the bread, too. Enjoy!

Oh great, now I'm getting some help cleaning up. 

"Hey, I smell chickens...or somethin' "
"Are you hiding a chicken?"
I'm joining Sandi at http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.ca/ for HOME.
hugs, Deb

15 comments:

  1. You win! Martha has nothing on you:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of my maternal grandfather's favorite breakfast: toast (buttered with jelly) and a medium fried egg. I like any version of it, too!

    I would LOVE to have some chickens. Their eggs are wonderful and they are so fun to watch. Alas, I live in an apartment :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha definitley has nothing on and that Audrey, ha ha! This has made me very hungry ..... off to cook something up. Hens, yes, fantastic. I want them also! Minerva x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats farm fresh eggs! Those eggs are so pretty. You are really good at poaching - I've yet to master it. I have been really enjoying Natalie's blog lately, especially her posts on beekeeping since we are new at it this year.

    PS - I hope you can get some hens of your own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me. I think it'll be poached eggs on toast for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    First! I love your method for making poached eggs. We have had them several times since last fall when I discovered your blog! Thanks for the cooking class!
    And don’t you just love how those blue eggs look! Simple and elegant at the same time. I bought several dozen some years ago and “blew” them out so I could have the shells intact for Easter decorations... still have them, still love ‘em! If you are interested in doing that here is a link that has good instructions for it: http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Out-Eggs If you have any questions, please let me know and I will send you an email. I have done many, many dozens of them over the last 30 years for gifts, as well as for myself.
    Enjoy your eggs – in many ways!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious gifts for two delicious recipes...I like eggs in all their forms. My husband's granny had hens so we enjoyed fresh eggs regularly...I wish i could have some hens but with all my cats around is quite imposible.
    You look great next to your gorgeous Mother's Day gift!
    Thanks for sharing Natalie's and the other wonderful blog!
    "Audrey, I can see a little feather near the basil pot"♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was checking my stats this afternoon and saw that I had visitors from a blog I never heard of....well...I can't say that any more!!! What a lovely and homey place!! Greetings from the Banana Bread girl!!! I am sooo pleased that you enjoyed it....and how nice of you to share the goodness with your friends here too!!
    You ARE extraordinary, Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oddly enough, I've never poached an egg!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH I love eggs but rarely poach them, however it does not matter because your gorgeous helper just stole the show at the end! :) What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like a fresh egg! My friends have chickens and I am now spoiled by the eggs those ladies lay! This looks so good...ok now I'm ready for eggs and toast!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love Audrey's facial expressions... those eggs do look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe it took me until today to get to this! So glad you are enjoying the eggies. There will be more in your future, to be sure. :) There's nothing like eating a really fresh egg (but they are so hard to peel if you hard boil them!) My cats have seen the chickens saunter across our deck and their eyes just bug out! "What Is THAT?!?!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, that's a poached egg. I've had that before... just never made the association with the term.

    Audrey's incorrigible, as ever.

    ReplyDelete