Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

What made you smile today?

I sat at a stop sign today and watched a little girl, maybe somewhere between 7 & 10, from atop her pink bike, watch a fat, orange cat roll back and forth on the sidewalk. Her helmet was cockeyed and she sat on the seat with her feet pressed against the front wheel. She was very amused by this chubby orange and white kitty and the cat was doing its best to grab her attention and receive some petting from her. She could not leave; she was so enthralled with its' antics. I sat for awhile, as no cars were around,  and watched and remembered when I was that age and was late for every function if I happened to pass by a cat on the way. Many a cat would be picked up off the sidewalk and brought home only to have to be returned immediately once my mother found it.
 That would have been 50 years ago. 50 years! How fast time goes. And here I was heading to a home to care and pamper cats that had been left in my care. I couldn't help but smile and wonder if that little girl in front of me would end up some day in the cat-care business or would she be the next Prime Minister of Canada. For her sake, I hope the former.


What made you smile today?
sharing a meal
            (A little rude for some, maybe but cute nonetheless)


hugs, Deb

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Deb! What a cute story...I could picture you being like that as a little girl ;) That poor kitty sounds like he really tried his best to get her attention...he sounds like my Lizzy or Olly. Speaking of them...those two kitties sharing the meal look exactly like them from behind...how cute! Oh and by the way... I noticed that they live in an old log house...how cool is that! It's only going to be about 30 today YAHOO and we're to get some rain which we really need so it should be a wonderful weekend even though hubby is working through it. Oh well..we're heading into the city today to see about getting me a new camera...can't wait to play. Have a great weekend!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for sure that picture on your blog made me smile! Also, since it's blog reading day, I found other blogs to smile at also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute story. I also always stopped to pet cats and hug them. My greatest joy as a child was when my Dad brought me my first kitten. I had been begging for one and finally got these sweet black cat! Now my greatest joy is my Grandson and guess what both my first cat and my first Grandson share the same name...Tiger!
    Kismet! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't find cat butts rude at all. How can you when they are topped by those glorious tails? And then to see them all intertwined like that? Adorable!

    I am always amazed that no matter where I go; cats appear. Even sitting alone in a parking lot the other night, waiting for my daughter to get off work; a bobtail kitty came out; did a quick bath & parked himself under a nearby car. Naturally I had to go investigate!

    I walked over not making eye contact, and sat on the curb in the empty space next to him; he looked; I could see his eyes refracting; but he never came out. I think I'm going to start keeping a bag of dry food in the trunk. I bet he maybe woulda come out for food. I would have left it for him none-the-less; his hind quarters were pretty danged scrawny. Lost cats make my heart ache. But I'm happy he didn't run off and we shared a quiet moment.

    xoxo to your 4 from my 4

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post definitely made me smile and the picture too! I love that you've had a life-long love of cats. :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by today and the good advice. I will definitely look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story and the precious picture of the crossed tails made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Own!!! I love your post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha ~ so cute ~ I love this post today!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete