Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

in search of a special tea-cup

Tea-cups

 I've loved them since I was a child. When I had the opportunity, I  always played with my grandmothers' tea things . She had a large floor to ceiling cupboard in her summer kitchen and it was loaded with china and clear glasses. Tea cups of every colour. I wish I had a picture of the one I always looked for. It was red and gold with a black dragon on the side and the saucer was red & black. It had a wide brim and a little gold handle. It doesn't sound like something I would go for now but as a child, I loved it. Many wonderful cups of tea and coffee (mostly milk & sugar) were enjoyed in that cup. And her home-made cookies were scrumptious. Her cookie cans were tin with a red and white flowered pattern on them. They, too, sat in the old cupboard or by the wood-stove. They were never empty. The popular cookie was the Hermit. I'll find a recipe similar and post it soon. Her chocolate chip cookies were my favorite.


The pretty, colourful cups are the best. To this day, I always look for that little dragon tea-cup when I am in a thrift shop. I think I'd faint if I found one.
           When you mix certain colours together it's magical.
                            Our pastel calico cat agrees.
She thinks a little peach on the coat is the cat's meow. Her knee-socks aren't too shabby, either.

Here's what I think is the 'cat's meow'

Banana Bread Cookies


1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup walnuts
Oven 375 degrees

Cream together butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda & cinnamon.
Mix well.  Mix in bananas, oats and walnuts. Drop by spoonful on a greased or parchment paper lined cookie tray. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Hugs, Deb

10 comments:

  1. I need to try this recipe. And have it with a cup of coffee. You have the prettiest collection of teacups! (And kitties!)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say I love your banner too!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post ... all your teacups and precious fur babe. I remember playing with my Mother's teacups and having a favorite or two. She gave all her cups to a friend of hers who also collected. Memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's just something special about a pretty tea cup isn't there? Sounds like you have some very nice memories of your grandma's kitchen. And colorful kitties are special too. Those banana cookies sound yummy!

    Happy Tuesday Deb!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting us on the blog! I think your job must be lots of fun! I have some friends who are crazy for animals of all kinds staying with my little darlings.

    And I have a single tea cup and saucer from my Nana's set. All of her granddaughters each got one when she left this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my cats has peachy markings....it's so pretty.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your teacups! Oh a little peach on a kitty is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb I am sending this pic I found on Etsy..may not be it..but I am sending it just in case. Childhood memories are awesome and those cookies would be too YUUUUMMEEEE!!! Sue,Rosie and Topaz...Sending pic to your email...no place to load it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely collection. I do hope the kitties will steer clear of those shelves. I shudder to think what would happen if my cats eyed all those lovely napping areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a TEAlighful collection of tea cups! We would love to share on our page www.facebook.com/GreatBritishTeaParty
    info@greatbritishteaparty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete