Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Time well spent

It rained all day today so after cat-sitting and getting soaked from walking the dog, I cleaned house and combed cats. The dog got a good brushing, too.

I started thinking about how much of my time is spent on the care of animals. Pretty much most of it. I do spend lots of time with friends and family but I wondered what I would be doing with all that time if I didn't have pets and a cat-sitting service. Would I be travelling, reading more, cooking more, exercising more, collecting more dishes (good grief!) ....what?   Probably all of them. But, for now I wouldn't change any part of it. I really am happiest in the presence of cats and I can't imagine my home without them. I have travelled in the past and I do plan to travel to Europe someday but  presently that is on hold because of our dog. Kane is such a part of our life and because of an unfortunate start for him,  he does not trust strangers.  Not since the day I brought him home from the shelter has he allowed someone, new to him, stroke or pet him. It takes time and he needs to see that we are ok with that person. I took him to doggy school, T touch classes and worked with him daily but was never able to change his fear of strangers.That is why we don't leave him behind. I don't trust that he wouldn't snap at a care-giver. We can't have that. So, life has changed a bit since he entered it but he has improved over the years and that's all we can expect of a previously abused dog.  He has shown us unconditional love and trusts US with all his being and we love him.


I can't clean house without playing...


Mrs. & Mr. Bailey

Coffee tastes so good in these funky little cups.

I read recently that if you add organic grapefruit to your diet you can lose weight without changing anything else. There is an enzyme in grapefruit that burns fat. It is suggested that you eat many throughout the day. Unsweetened grapefruit juice works too. And, the old saying is true. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples are loaded with fibre and nutrients; they normalize your blood sugar and decrease your appetite. Eat at least one a day but the more the better. I like my apples mostly in apple cake...do you think that counts?


Have a good Sunday.

hugs, Deb




4 comments:

  1. Deb, cake is a food group along with chocolate and wine....I think you are fine !
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven'd had an orange or grapefruit in over 20 years. Acid reflux. I don't leave my dogs either.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb: We take Buddy everywhere we go practically. He had a bad beginning also, but for some reason he is good with all humans, young and old, he just does not trust the vet or a groomer. He is so pretty, I would love to see him groomed just once, but we tried, and I think he would bite. We have to sedate him just to walk into the vets office. But, like you say, they are a part of the family and give you so much love, how could you not give it back..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, You know I have the Bailey's TEAPOT...would you be interested in it? I can send photos. It's yours if you want it!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete