Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The old well

Don't ask me what he's doing here.
I think he's just playing
But what amused me this day last summer

was this guy 
who thought it was just a wee bit too hot out and preferred to chill in the car on his blankie in the shade.

He did have a good run though after the grass was cut.
The grass was burnt to a crisp from one of the hottest summers on record.
We have our permits now so the building will proceed in the Spring. Every single step took far longer to process than was expected. We know now that the old well can stay which means they can proceed with the new well.
This old well provided my grandmother with water for more years than I can remember. It was there long before I was born. I remember an old lady that lived up the hill from my grandmother's house who would sneak down at night and take buckets of water back up the hill. We would lie in bed and could hear her pumping the water. Of course, we would rush to the window and watch this odd woman, quite scary looking to us, who always wore a green bonnet. She never spoke to any of us and my grandmother would always tell us to mind our manners and not make fun of her. Nothing was ever said about her taking the water without asking. My grandmother just let her have what she needed.

As kids, we would play hard and then run to the well for a cold cup of water. Nothing tasted so good.
We shared an old granite cup  that always hung on a crooked nail at the side of the well. It now sits in my kitchen waiting to go 'back home' someday.
It was given to me after the old, white, clapboard house burned to the ground in 1976.
I am so happy to be able to keep the well as it always was. A little memory of my dear grandmother and our happy times when we would visit her.  I never want to forget 'ol lady green bonnet' either.

Now I can't end this post without a featured cat, so I thought, since I was thinking back about the well I'd also go back to when Audrey was a baby and leave you with this photo.

That is Nigel (now Kitt) , Bree (now Ruby) and Audrey is on the bottom.
Everytime I look back at photos of these 3 fostered scalliwags it makes my day.

hugs, Deb

18 comments:

  1. How smart that your dog decided to sit in the shade on a comfortable blanket rather than roast in the sun! He looks pretty pleased with himself too!
    The pictures of the kittens made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos ! Oh they are soo cute those little kittens . I was raised on well water on our hobby farm . Your pooch had the right idea lol, ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll remember Kane's tip for next summer!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you were building on land that belonged to your grandmother. That is such a wonderful thing! I love the old pump and the cup. It looks like such a beautiful spot for you and all your furbabies. I know I'm raving. Doesn't Audrey look like she'll turn out to be quiet and shy in that photo? I fell for that with Maeve, too. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story of the well is wonderful. I know you will love living out there! I can't believe how big those 'kids' have gotten now!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable picture of baby kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would gladly get out of the sun with Kane! Those kitties are so adorable and BTW, you won the Give-Away on my blog for the soap and change purse. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that's great, Susan. Thank you so much. I'll pop over to your blog. Thank you, thank you. :)

      Delete
  8. Loved your story about the well, Kane, and the little old woman in the green bonnet. The bonnet reminded me of a story my Mother used to tell me about her Grandmother and her bonnets! It must be ESP ... I was going to ask you about Nigel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Deb,
    Your grandmother's home site where you will be making your new home is so very beautiful! I love that you can settle where you already have such lovely memories. Now your grandchildren will be running and playing at their Grandma's and making wonderful memories to last a lifetime, too. Blessings.
    Love,
    Lily, WA, USA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are boys ever to old to play with tractors?! Can't wait to see the new homestead and I imagine you really can't wait since you have been waiting for so long now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful old mug. I can just imagine the cool water tasting so good. Characters like the old lady make memories rich.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could see my son playing on a tractor like that. I just love your cute dog, is it a collie. He is smart to stay out of the sun. Great shots, happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandmother sounds amazing! She helped that poor woman with water. Little acts of kindnesses like that make for long lasting lovely memories. Thank you for sharing! Ruby, Audrey and Kitt are super duper sweet! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on finally getting all of your needed permits. What a very exciting time!
    Won't it be wonderful for your grandchildren to have the lovely experiences you had at the family homestead? There's something that feels so good, feels do right in the continuity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Deb
    Boy's and their toys! You all must be very excited to build on the Family land. Your memories of your childhood are so precious. I can see why the photo of the little kittens make you smile... I can almost hear their purrs. Take care and thanks for stopping in to my blog today.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deb,

    I enjoyed reading your story of the well, your grandmother and the lady with the green bonnet. For me in the city centre of Rotterdam it is difficult to imagine a well :-)! It does sound special though to have fresh water from a spring.

    The kittens on your last photograph look very sweet!

    Have a lovely new week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete