Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Choices in pet-care while you travel & What's in the cookie jar?

The Christmas season is fast approaching and I am now starting to book cats in for cat-sitting over the holidays. I came across this fabulous article that I would like to share that looks at the different approaches to cat-care while you travel.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/pet-sitter-or-boarding-kennel-which-one-is-right-for-your-cat/

I have been cat-sitting in our area for almost twenty years. Keeping your cat in their home with their familiar beds, windows and feeding schedules has worked the best, in my opinion,  for our local kitties. If you are leaving behind a single cat then I suggest two visits daily. A morning and evening visit keeps the lone cat from becoming lonely and gives them someone to look forward to seeing to break up the day. If there are multi-cats in the home then one visit a day may be sufficient but to keep the feeding schedule on track you may still want two visits. Changing lights, opening and closing curtains and bringing in the mail daily is a smart way to keep your home safe and sound, too.

Booking early for cat-care in your home will give you peace of mind and be one more thing off your long 'to do' list. =^..^=
I'm looking so forward to the Christmas season.

'Tis the season to be jolly ...and covered in cat-hair.'


And for tea-time...
What's in the cookie jar today?
for my new followers I thought I would post this recipe once again.
Applesauce Oatmeal Walnut Cookies
( a favorite of ours)

1 3/4 cups All purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. powdered cloves
1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup seedless raisins (optional)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup rolled oats

Measure together first 5 ingredients. Mix together in another bowl the butter, sugar & egg. Cream together.
In another bowl, combine applesauce and soda. Blend into creamed mixture alternating with dry mixture. Fold in raisins (optional)  walnuts and oats. 
Spoon onto greased cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. They should be golden brown.
Everything looks pretty on blue and white china.

I learned something new today. I was short 1/2 a cup of all-purpose flour for my cookies and all I had in the house was pancake flour so that's what I used. Guess what? They are delicious and moist and none the wiser. There's a cookie-tip for the day.

"Audrey, are you up?"
"Oh, Lord have mercy, now what does she want?"

For those who asked, my header was designed by the talented Deidre Wicks. Please take a moment and visit her website and enjoy her gallery of water-colours. http://www.whenwatermeetspaint.com/
hugs, Deb

6 comments:

  1. Great quote for Audrey! That is exactly what it looks like she is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb can you give me some tips on finding a good cat sitter? What are the questions you would ask and how would you check out someone? Love the blue china and those cookies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful collection of blue china you have Deb! Wishing you a happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Audrey's expression suggests that's exactly what she thinks.

    Very good tips for cat care, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my dad died unexpectedly, I had to board my cats to fly back to my mum. My vet's wonderful boarding area was separated from the patient waiting room by an entire wall of glass so that the cats could watch the coming and goings of
    people all day. They also had birds, aquariums and a TV to
    watch. But I still had a couple who got depressed and one
    who stopped eating and needed to be tube fed! Cats are
    happiest in their own homes, I believe. It's a good idea to find a
    great sitter before you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you lived near by when we have to go out of town...and if you left some cookies for us, that would be great too, tee hee! XOXO

    ReplyDelete