Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Wrapping and bidding farewell

It's been snowing all day and wet. After collecting a few keys for this weekend's cat-sitting, I took Kane for a walk. He looked so good today;  freshly bathed. He walks ahead of me but there is no tugging, no prancing, no hurry. He's just an old dog enjoying a leisurely walk with his friend.


I've been wrapping most of the afternoon. This is no chore for me. I get right into it and have a great time. I bought myself a beautiful mug and some yummy hot chocolate and went to town.


I was sad today thinking about my ex-brother-in-law who died on Wednesday. He had a stroke. Although he and my sister have been divorced for more years than I care to think about, he is still the father to my niece and nephew and a grand-father to 4 children. Something like this is hard enough at the best of times but at Christmas it hurts more.
My sister and Arch stayed friends over the years. He never married again and I think his life was rather lonely although he did have some good friends. He was a shy guy but give him a few beers and he was the best MC at any party. He loved animals and he was kind to them. Cruelty to animals bothered him immensely and he would talk about that with me sometimes.  He'd always ask how my dog and cats were doing. I liked that about him.


So, rest in peace, Arch. I'll miss you at the dinners.
hugs, Deb

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your ex-brother-in-law. My condolences. Kane looks so sweet in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad about your ex-brother-in-law. I'm glad he stayed connected with his children. I hope to wrap gifts next week! I'm just taking each day as it comes. Enjoying the season. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathies to you and your family. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb...what a great picture of Kane and yourself. I'm sorry to read about your ex brother in law...such a sad thing to happen but as you mentioned even harder at this time of year. At least you have your happy memories of him and that's what's important now. I hope you have a good weekend.
    Maura X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww so sorry for your loss. It's always extra hard at Christmas. You wrote a beautiful post for him. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences to you regarding your ex-brother in law. We're glad Kane took you for a nice walk at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an extra-tough time of year to lose someone. My thoughts go out to those who cared about Archie. We had just lost my father-in-law at this time last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your Brother In Law. Sending big hugs from here..

    ReplyDelete