Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

an apple a day

I spent half my day on the look-out for my reading glasses. I have many pairs, but let's face it, there is always one that you favor. I found myself opening drawers and lifting lids off dishes thinking I just may find them in there. Not likely!
Then as the day wore on and I took a drive over to feed the ferals,  I stepped out of the car and saw something sticking out of the snow next to their feeding spot. 
Well, I'm sure you guessed right.
I wondered how many wild creatures were baffled as to what this was and wondering could they eat it. Can you picture the raccoons with their human-like fingers trying them on just for a laugh.
I expect they were in my pocket when I leaned over to place the food down.
Now,  I don't want anyone to tell me I should have them on a chain around my neck like some 'older' women. It's not going to happen. Nope, don't go there, nuh uh, no way. 

On to apples

When I turned 40 I suddenly became allergic to apples.
 I imagine it was the spray that was being used at that time that would cause my throat to feel like I was being strangled from behind. Nasty stuff.  I tried peeling the apple but it didn't help. For 15 years I would have to bake the apple to eat it. I wanted so badly to bite into a crisp, red Mac or a sweet Granny apple.  I would try another bite once in awhile but instantly I knew that was a mistake. Apples were everywhere and just the sight of one would frustrate me to no end.

Much like this little guy.


Then, just as suddenly, it was over. I picked up an apple one day to see if I would feel that very strange sensation in my throat and I didn't. The apple-eating marathon began. I have been eating an apple a day since.
This week I plan to bake with apples.
If you have one hour to spare, bake this cake.
It is scrumpdillyishus and you can add a dollop of whipping cream and a pinch of cinnamon on top to make it your new favorite apple cake.

Deep Dish Apple Cake
2 eggs
1 1/4c white sugar
1/2 c oil (I use olive)
1 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbsp orange juice
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
12 apples, pealed and sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle apples in bottom of a casserole dish with 1/4 c of cinnamon and sugar. In a bowl, beat eggs, 1 c sugar & the vanilla.
Add oil, orange juice alternately with dry ingredients.
Beat until smooth. Spoon batter all over the apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

When cooled, slice and serve with a dollop of whipping cream and a pinch of cinnamon on top.

hugs, Deb







17 comments:

  1. A chain on your glasses breaks me up. Te he Since I hurt my knee everyone keeps offering me a cane to use. Uh uh, no way, not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Great minds think alike...I baked an apple cake today too! Your cake sounds wonderful and on my list to try; we're the "apple state" and love them anytime of the year, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, An apple in the picture. The shape is so wicked ...MOL
    my house, my pawrents go for A Banana A Day...Daddy calls mom " Monkey ! " sometime...tee..heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple cake -- this I will try! Shared the kitty video -- too funny. About those glasses and the special *necklace* .......................

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice slice of apple cake and a cup of coffee sounds like the right dessert for tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the kitten tried every single move in the cat handbook!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apple cake sounds delicious. I think I'll make it for book club. Thanks for the recipe and have a great week.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never known anyone that was allergic to apples before... bananas yes, strawberries yes... but never apples. They are my favorite fruit!

    That cat video was so-oo adorable. It made me laugh so much. There is nothing as cute as a kitten acting silly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine the raccoons with your glasses on! What a show!
    Glad that awful sensation is over Deb! Have you tried with organic apples? My son is allergic to nuts and almonds when he tries them his lips become swollen as if he has collagen in them!
    I baked another apple cake you posted once mmm delicious I will try this one today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny about your glasses! I too have numerous pairs: one in the living room, in the kitchen, my purse, and of course the office. I have another idea for you, Deb: "monovision contacs." What is that? It's a different lens for each eye, one for distance and one for reading. But, since I only need reading - I can wear one contac in my right eye and can then see both distance and for reading, without worrying about glasses.
    Surprised to hear your apple allergy went away! Glad it did, though. The cake sounds awesome!
    xo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. That recipe sounds scrummy. Glad you found the glasses.. Hugs GJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny about your glasses! I'm glad you found them :)

    My husband showed me that cat video last week and we were both crying laughing! It is so cute. I'm glad you are able to eat apples again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least your glasses werent on your head...
    That kitten was a riot, thanks for the laugh!
    So wierd about apples, the growers must have changed the pestisides they use, go local and organic. Kinda scary. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same thing happen with tomatoes but not as extreme. I love tomato sandwiches...ripe tomato right off the vine...yum:) But, for about 8 or 9 years every time I ate tomato anything I broke out in a rash all over my face. Crazy. Now I'm fine...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. the raccoons wearing your glasses is too funny a thought!
    This kitten video is hilarious. There is another similar with the same music coordination, I think it is a kitten and a tennis ball!
    apple recipe looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, I once lost sunglasses, looked everywhere. The next spring I found them is the garden, under leaves... Apple Cakes sounds delicious:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete