Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spring has sprung on our property

Today it didn't snow or rain. That, in itself, made it a great day. Off to the property we went to see how dry the ground is now that we have had some warmer days.

The lilacs are budding at the gate.
See.

And the snow has disappeared. Things are looking much greener now.

Oh my goodness, this 'ol tractor kills me but it started up on the first try.
Kane likes to head over to the old coop hoping he'll find a chicken.
He won't,  but if I was a chicken at the coop, I don't think I'd have much to worry about.
This is where my grandmother housed her chickens many years ago. The sound inside this building and collecting the eggs from the squawking hens is still vivid in my mind. To a city kid, this was great fun.
We don't go inside though because of this...

The roof is caving in and needs repair. I'll never tear the building down as there are too many wonderful memories attached to it. I'm hoping to turn it into a potting shed someday. If chickens were to live on this land again they would have the finest coop just over to the left of this one. Someday...maybe, BIG maybe.
Perhaps I should stick to cats.

And to end my day I spent some time again with one of my favorite kitty clients who enjoys a good brushing after every meal. Proof is in the photo.
 Note to all cat-sitters: Remember to always add a hair removal brush to your cat-bag before leaving home.

hugs, Deb

18 comments:

  1. I love your property, and that tractor! Gordon is impressed with the tractor too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it that makes old tractors so attractive? It is a lovely one - and so is the old barn. What a lovely way to spend a spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gal can dream about raising chickens, and at least you have space to plant your dream coop on. Nice open space with grass you tame with a tractor!

    I have to laugh about the kitty hair. I do seem to always be wearing a bit of my cats' fur all the time. Love the sticky rollers that take it off my clothes. I keep one in the car because inevitably I discover the cat ( and dog) fur just as I get out of the car at my destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture is so sweet! I remember always having white cat fur on my black pants when we had Mr. Moe, our white and black cat. Good luck on fixing up that chicken coop into a gardening shed--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No rain.No snow. And, the sun is shining! YeeHaw! I love lilacs and I can't grow them down here. I miss them. The last photo ... I look like that everyday. Mina is a world class shedder...we brush a couple of times a day ... she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilacs at the gate...screams Ontario to me!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right up there at the top of ' my favorite things'.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for recently stopping by my blog and for your comment. I can identify with your love for the chicken house memories. I really hope you get to restore the building! I grew up on farms (two) and one of my happy memories is of chicken houses. I even loved the smell! I would love to have chickens now - at least I have a big coop of them on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember so vividly the sounds and the smells and even the 'screach' of the old door. Wonderful childhood memories. Welcome to the blog, Betty. Love yours.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love lilacs. They are my favorite =)
    Chickens would be enjoyed my cats, too, I think!
    I have 4 lint roller brushes. They are in constant use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. two of my memories there too. Mum's lilac and collecting eggs from under warm hens when a girl. we have to keep a roller in the car because with Jasper's fur it is always there and we see it on our clothes. the joys of loving cats. Wouldn't change it though. Hugs Carol and GJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking of my Grandmother's house this week too. It would be wonderful to still have something so tangible as a chicken coop to hold onto a memory. A potting shed in there would be lovely. I'm glad you're going to prop it back up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its wonderful seeing the first buds appearing ...and whats life without cat hairs lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. That old coop will be quite an undertaking. Don't wait too long to start on it, though!

    I find white cat fur is the worst for shedding!



    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots of your property. Love the old chicken coop even if its falling down a bit...it has so much character and history. I'm jealous though as my lilac bushes aren't as far along as yours. Guess we're behind you here in the GTA. :0)

    And yes, pet hair is a fact of life not only for cat lovers but for those of us who own Shelties, as you'd know. Loved seeing a picture of Kane btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hay, I love that old tractor. About a year ago, I saw one from the 1920's and it still runs great. Not like these nasty cars, you know.

    Lilacs! Haven't seen lilacs in ages! I can only imagine the gorgeousness of their scent in the warm, spring sun.
    It was in the 90's F today where I live. Lilacs...and wisteria vine! How did I ever end up here?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute kitty.

    In my cross provincial travels in the last few days, I've been surprised by the difference you see in just a handful of days over some of the same terrain.

    ReplyDelete