Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Getting to know me

I have my work cut out for me this next little while. One of my 'charges' (I always find that word odd) is hiding under her owner's bed and won't come out. "GO AWAY!!!!!!" I was warned she might do this and now I am trying to decide which angle to take to get her to calm down, come out and join the two other cats in getting to know me.
I can't put her food down on the kitchen floor in hopes that she will come out once I leave and eat it because the other cats will devour it in minutes. I am to put her food in the room where she is hiding and leave it at that. So, that's what I have done. Oh, I can see where this is going.

I have visions of me lying on the floor, head under the bed, whispering sweet nothings, trying to coax little kitty out. No kidding, I will probably do that tomorrow.  I'll go slow but if that doesn't work I have plans to lie on the floor next to the bed, a good book and a coffee to help pass the time and just let her get used to my presence. I'll read to her, I'll sing to her, I'll meow, purr, chirp, whatever. I have a list as long as my arm of things to try. Hope something works.
Now the other two are clowns. I walked in and they were both ready to chat it up, check out 'the bag', mooch some treats and just pretty much grab attention anyway they could. I know I'm going to have lots of fun with them. It's just the little shy one that is on my mind tonight.


"Life's too short for all that fussin', my friend"  (Mr. Ed)

hugs, Deb

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum says that brings back memories of when Dollycat came to live with her. Dollycat had been used as a show and breed kitty and had passed her sell by date with her so called owners. Mums sister asked mum if she would take her, mum worried because were she was living pets were not allowed. As Dollycat had never been uot in her life mum risked it. Dollycat came to live and rushed straight under the bed as soon as she arrived. Mum did just what you are planning and spent lots of time lying on the floor and talking, cooing etc to get her used to the voice. Progressing to gently stretching to touch briefly. Eventualy mum went under the bed and gently pulled Dollycat out, she held her close for a few minutes then let her go. It worked after awhile and Dollycat soon became mums constant shadow and spent her last years well loved and cherished. Sorry for the long winded comment, it just stirred memories.. Husg GJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate this comment. She was a lucky girl to have lived her remaining days with someone who cared as much as you did. I love these stories and I always learn from them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story from Ginger Jasper! I think that is the best way, just slow and easy and let her get use to your voice. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete