Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Blueberry Tea

Annie gave me a 'cat in window' photo for you as she wonders why our beautiful tree, with the twinkling lights, is outside now.
I'll be picking up needles for a month.

 I drank a whole pot of this tea myself today.
Boil water, add tea bag to pot, steep for 6 minutes. Pour and add 1/2 tsp. of honey. "Oh, honey". This is great tea.
I love blue and white china and winter seems to be the right time to bring it out. It goes so well with white and neutral dishes.

My sister made these date squares and they are delicious. She has my mothers' recipe which I will get for you soon. In the meantime, here is a recipe my mother-in-law used for Date Dainties.
I will type it exactly how it is written on her paper.

Sift flour and then measure 5 tablespoons.  Sift a second time with 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Combine with 1 pound of chopped dates, 1 cup of walnuts, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tsp. vanilla and 3 eggs (unbeaten) Bake in a modern oven (modern oven?) 325 degrees. for 45 minutes. Cut in squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

I have never made them but the retired-guy says they are good.
This tea-cup is from England and is called Countryside. I have two now so I must be collecting them.
See the Chocolate Chai tea? That was another gift. I'll try it soon. "More Chocolate!" Oh my goodness.
I just discovered that blueberry tea goes well with anything. But, add honey and it is heaven. I wonder how it tastes with popcorn? I'll check it out during Downton Abbey.

Kane enjoyed his long walk for the first time in a week. It has been so cold that we have been doing 10 minute walks but today it was warm enough for a 45 minute one. He's pooped and will leave me alone now for the rest of the day.

I am still busy with cat-sitting and enjoying time for grooming and playing with each cat. They are all so sweet. I do have one that is very shy and hides on me but this has been going on for a long time now. I started caring for her last year but she still only looks at me from a hiding spot and waits for me to vamoosh to enjoy her dinner. She is not alone, lives with another cat and seems to do fine with her "I vant to be alone" cattitude. But, I still work on being her friend.

Today's photo for you is this handsome fellow. He's as funny as he is cute.
He goes through life looking constantly startled. And, he has the softest fur I have ever felt. What a gem!

hugs, Deb



11 comments:

  1. Miss Pops would be the same if you visited, she is a real scardey cat. Glad you are getting some warmer weather. We have had a glorious weekend with 25 degrees and lots of sunshines, and today I even ventured to the waterfront and went into the water up to my knees.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. I am starting to get the 'winter blues'.

      Delete
  2. The pic of Annie is adorable! I can tell Charlie misses our tree with the pretty lights...he loves sleeping near it. Now it's gone he is back to being on my bed. He and Mr Toes were actually both on the bed with me today at the same time...progress. I have some Pomagrante tea I am going to try tomorrow while I too watch Downton Abbey!!
    hugs,Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge tea lover as I am a cat lover--we would get along great! That last kitty picture is adorable--I can just fee that soft coat thru the screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a tea lover, but mostly oolong tea while my husband adores fruit tea.
    Beautiful kitty photos.
    ciao,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just reinforces cat's belief that we are stupid when we take a perfectly grand tree and put it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stateaide this is National Hot Tea Month, but it sounds as if you need it even more up there!
    I thought it was too cold to walk my own dogs this past week, but our weather would feel almost balmy to you-all. Glad the dogs can't read this blog to see what a wimp I am.

    I'm going to have to take my tree down, reluctantly, today. I might try putting bird treats on it and setting it near a window to make "Cat TV" for my gang.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Marty. I did that for a few years but last year the birds would not use it. I decided this year to let it go and just feed them where they are used to it. Good luck.

      Delete
  7. Hmm....I will have to look for that tea. My supermarket carries Stash tea, but I haven't seen that one. Sounds interesting.
    And the date bars look awesome....remind me of my recipe for Aunt Stell's date cookies, and her recipe was similar. A "handful" of flour.....what?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Stash tea and will have to look for this one...I think blueberries sound wonderful--with some of Natalie's honey, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That handsome orange and white cat is asking for a good cat-huffing session! I need to bury my face in his fluffy neck.........

    ReplyDelete