Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Daisies

Source
'Daisies are the 'happy flower'.
Daisies remind me of lazy summer days at my grandmother's farm.
I remember picking armfuls of them; winding them through my shoelaces and bringing a bouquet back for my grandmother.  Of course, you always wore them in your hair. We were the 'flower children' afterall. "He loves me, he loves me not..."
My mom loved them and passed that love of them on to me.
At home, she would often fill a vase with them and place them on the dining-room table. I do the same now.
As a matter of fact, I place them in the very vase that was eventually passed on to me. 
(Audrey always helps the retired-guy pay the bills)
Unfortunately, daisies are poisonous to cats and dogs so they have to be placed up high when no one is in the room.

My kitty-client, Gracie, is now out from under the bed and we are getting along just fine. She has a love of treats, her favorite toy and she is the proud owner of the best cat-tree in town.

I'm just back from feeding the ferals and am happy that the temperature has risen again. It is not freezing; just wet. The landscape is covered in snow but we will lose much of it if it continues to rain. I was able to leave them soft food along with the kibble.

I came across this photo and it has always been one of my favorites of Kane and I sitting outside a friends' home. He isn't a 'ball dog' anymore and that saddens me to think that those days are behind him now. He is almost 13 and has slowed down significantly. But, he's still my boy, loves his walks and he smells like a flower as he has just been bathed.

 
   2010  

Family are arriving for breakfast.
Time to get the quiche into the oven.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs, Deb



12 comments:

  1. I love daisies ... such a happy flower and the vase reminds me of one my mother had. Wonder what happened to it??? Love the photo of you with Kane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisies are my fave so bright and happy ! Lovely table setting ! Oh all the flowers in the lovely photo of you and Kane . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful table settings =)
    That photo of you and Kane is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisies are my daughter Sara's favorite flower. I didn't know they were poisonous to cats, glad to know that! Enjoy your family breakfast! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. something new to learn over at yours.. .. it is always wonderful visiting you. Love Darcy, Bingley and Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing about the cats and of course the beautiful shelty, I miss mine so much...only my kitty left, however she is a hand full....lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture of you and Kane...he is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Evening Deb, I just popped by for a visit and to say hello. Thank you so much for becoming a follower, it was very kind of you.
    As a child I loved Daisies which grew in fields, I used to make Daisy chains which in turn became bracelets and necklaces.
    Lovely to meet Kane, I'm sorry to hear he is not a "ball dog" anymore. We had our wonderful little Chloe, who was a King Charle's Spaniel who was with us for 14 years, by the age of 12 she decided she did not want to chase balls anymore. If I threw one she would just sit down and look at me as if to say...."I didn't ask you to throw it!"
    It is lovely to meet you. I have enjoyed reading your blog and have become a new follower.
    Enjoy the rest of Sunday.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  9. We Knew Gracie couldn't hold out! Another cat in love with her sitter!
    Your table looks lovely. We'll all will be right over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty daises and lovely vase. We had a vase very much like that one in my childhood home, too. I can't remember the name of them just now but I do still love them. I have a niece collects them... beautiful.
    The photo of you and Kane is wonderful. He is so pretty and must be so sweet.
    I am very glad to see that Audrey is learnin' her numbers and how to balance the budget! lol
    Lily, WA, USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah,does Kane smell as fresh as a daisy?
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kane looks like quite a fellow. I had a dog rather like that when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete