Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

When Debbie met Mellie

I came across this photo the other day. I'd like to tell my new followers how we came to adopt Audrey and her mom, Annie. When this was taken,  Annie's name was Mellie.
Mellie and her three babies came from our local animal shelter after being left behind with 24 other cats and 4 dogs in a house in Smiths Falls, Ontario. There was a foreclosure on the house and the people left. Unfortunately, there were animals left behind. When the abandoned animals were discovered, there was no food or water in the house and the animals were starving and very stressed. Mellie had 2 kittens and was giving birth to one more when Animal Control placed her in a carrier and put her in the vehicle. She had her third kitten in her carrier on the way to the shelter.  Audrey? Probably. She always does make an 'entrance'.

I received a call to ask if I could help with fostering as the shelter was full to capacity. Could I foster this little family until all the kittens were ready to be homed and then the mom could go up for adoption, too. 

I prepared my spare bedroom for them and focused on getting the mother back to good health. It was a wonderful experience watching her thrive and getting to know her beautiful babies. 
After three months,
two of these babies left for new homes. Mellie, now named Annie and one kitten stayed with us. That kitten is Audrey.
This is Annie now after one year and three months. She is just now around 2 1/2 years old.
and her rascally kitten Audrey, now 1 year and four months old.


I can't imagine life without them. They have brought much joy to our home and we love them dearly.


So, that's the story on Audrey and her mom, Annie. 

Moral of the story...I make a lousy foster home. I fall in love in 20 minutes.


hugs, Deb

18 comments:

  1. Annie and Audrey are very happy that you " make a lousy foster home"! Falling in love is so wonderful!!!!

    Hugs---

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, what a lovely story, I can quite see how you had to keep at least a couple of them.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of our cats have come to us through someone's neglect or abandonment--a practice that makes me SO ANGRY! The really sad part is that we can't save them all.
    Annie and Audrey are beautiful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Deb as time went on with these lovely cats we all kept hoping you would keep them. Sweet Annie and yes rascally Audrey! Oh and Ruby as a Grandkitty! We all fell in love with these girls also. Great story!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww such cute photos! I love their gray coloring. Thanks for sharing their story. I don't understand how someone could just leave animals behind. Makes me so angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been involved in cat rescue for over 30 years and I still am mind-boggled at the cruelty that we humans put on animals. I also am up-lifted by the people who change their life around. It's a strange world.

      Delete
  6. I'd be the same way! I'm so happy we got Rosie, even though she's almost 9 (in May), she has brought so much joy to our lives. The sweetest cat I have ever had and I think she's enjoying finally being the Queen of the House...and being spoiled as they should be! Love the story of Audrey and her mama, Annie, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie and Audrey are two very lucky kitties! It is so awful what some people do to our furry friends. People here adopt cute little Persian kittens and then when they are about a year old, the cuteness wears off and they are thrown in the street. I rescued three last year that all were flown to Canada and adopted. I have about 7 feral cats that I feed right now and just today, I saw another Persian that someone has tossed out. Just breaks my heart and makes me very angry, too. Wishing you a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is more fun that watching a litter of kittens cavort? It's such a happy ending to a very sad story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who would have thought that Audrey would become the star of a world wide blog? How we love happy endings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb,
    I think, Annie and Audrey are also happy to life with you. They are so wonderful cats. What a luck, you got them. I enjoyed to read the story of their adoption. I love all you photos, also those on the sidebar are so cute.
    All the best for you and the kitties.
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well... know what Deb?

    I do too! ;-)

    Seems that whatever animal I take in stays!

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have so Many stray feral cats around here it is sickening . I don't understand how people can be so cruel . I wish we could afford to keep more pets but for now our pup Miggs and cat Harley are safe , spoiled and most of all loved ! They were both struggling as youngsters it upsets me to go into detail ! Lovely photos , I am glad they have you to take them in and love them ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand how you feel. If you have not met Hilary from Crazy as a Loom drop over and see how she keeps outdoor cats warm this winter. It is wonderful to see how she cares so much about them.

      Delete
  13. How lucky those ladies are to still be living with you. Can't believe that there are people that would abandon their animals like that - how heartless.

    Me - I'd be no good as a foster mum either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never tire of seeing photos and tales of Annie and her family when she came to you. I wish so much that they could all have a rescue like that and pray daily for it. Blessings.
    Love,
    Lily, WA, USA

    ReplyDelete