Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can't stomach this

Maple Lodge Farms meat company is in court right now with charges of cruelty causing death to animals during the transportation to the slaughterhouse. It was broadcast on our local news today. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has laid 60 charges against this Canadian company. Thousands of chickens died in two shipments last year. 711 hens in one and 1,181 chickens in the other due to exposure to cold conditions on their way from the farm to the slaughterhouse.  Frail and fragile after de-feathering and a life-time of laying eggs, spent hens are especially susceptible to cold conditions.

The charges raise the question; "How cold is too cold when it comes to transporting poultry?"

Liz White, Director of Animal Alliance in Toronto said the chicken processing system, with its focus on the bottom line, is inherently inhumane.
She said, "For the system to work, it has to ignore the humane aspects. At the end of the day, the brunt is borne by the very birds we bring to our tables."


This is why I don't want to eat meat. I cannot support these companies, like the one above,  who are so flippant about the cruelty they cause to animals to make the almighty dollar. So, they follow regulations so the 'kill' is humanely done (questionable) but it's ok for the livestock to freeze to death in the truck on their way there.

How do we know what other acts of cruelty go on in the meat packing plants. The transportating conditions for pigs and cattle are in question, too.  No, it's not for me. I love all animals including those destined for our dinner plates.
I can't stomach this stuff.

hugs, Deb

8 comments:

  1. I am saddened by the news reports about cruelty to animals. I admire your steps to stop eating meat.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff sickens me.
    Factory farms. We want meat and we want it to be affordable so something has to suffer and it won't be the bottom line. I have ridded myself of dairy and am now down to mostly fish and veggies. Don't get me wrong. I love meat. It has been really tough for me. I occasionally slip but I try my hardest.
    When I was younger, a friends brother wanted to drop out of college to be an actor. His father had him get a job in a slaughter house in up state N.Y so he'd learn what it was like if you didn't get a good education. He left school to be an actor but to this day, at age 54,has never eaten meat since that summer.
    I responded to your acne question on the previous post. Hope you saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Deb....haven't eaten meat in a couple of years, and the longer I don't eat it, the happier I am. Physically, mentally.
    We REALLY don't need it. And we certainly don't need the amounts that people ingest. It is barbaric, sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggie here too! Scott and I rarely eat meat, and ONLY if the animal has been responsibly raised and slaughtered. I won't support factory farming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad thing to have happened and IS happening. I agree that the all mighty dollar and greed is the cause of this...but even then you'd think they'd have a conscience when it comes to the lives of the animals. Obviously not! We're cutting back on our meat consumption too and after reading this I'm very glad we are. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Deb. I hope your week has been good so far...enjoy the rest of it.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the reasons why hubby and I have been vegetarian since 1986, and vegan since 2002.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maple Lodge Farms has been a bad scene for YEARS, for more than just cruelty. My hubby prosecuted them for food inspection safety issues years ago, when he was a prosecutor in Toronto. I have stayed well clear of them since. That said, I eat less meat than ever and the meat I do eat comes from organic farmers around here that I know personally. We had a turkey for Christmas and I know it had a good summer outside at my friends' place. Really, though, I think I could go to just fish and eggs as my animal food sources. I love beans and tofu!

    I was very sad to hear about the brutal treatment of these chickens They deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cruelty to farm animals, be it chicken, pigs, cows, at the farms, during the transport, at the slaughterhouses and their suffering are the reasons I stopped eating meat years ago.I am also giving up on dairy (I only have a yogurt occasionally) and I only eat eggs that our friend's hens lay: they have a hen house, a hen garden, she talks and sings to them so they are happy chicks.

    ReplyDelete