Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Taking the edge off winter

Winter is hard on the wild-life around here so many people help by feeding the birds and squirrels. I often sprinkle seeds on dry bread and peanut butter, cut it all up and place this outside a window for the cats to enjoy the excitement.
Birds love a bit of fruit, too. With the squirrels, this will be gone in minutes. After they eat, they scamper around our property and delightfully entertain the cats.  I have watched them take a corner of the bread, eat the seeds and then lick the peanut butter off. Yes, I too, am easily entertained. ;-b
I always have an assistant in the kitchen.
If she's not cuddled up on the couch in front of the wood-stove.

Beautiful cut flowers were added to the dining-room today. I am anxious for Spring and having them to look at softens the winter. 
This vase was my mothers. I remember as a child looking at the fresh cut flowers that would fill it from my mom's garden. It always made the house more a home. 


It is so sunny today and the wind has died down. Much more tolerable. I think it's time for a walk.

hugs, Deb

3 comments:

  1. The vase is very pretty. I just adore that cat's face!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually enjoy our winters with temps in the 60-70F/15-21C range. We have short springs and hot, summers with routine temps over 112F/44C. (My air conditioning died on a 118F/47C holiday period!)
    We keep cool water and water misters in our yard to try to keep our animal visitors cool. Harsh weather of a different sort.
    I so love your kitchen helper. Give her a kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the birds =)
    Bet your furry ones love it bunches, too!

    ReplyDelete