Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pesky birds and organizing the weekend

Thank you for all your encouraging comments on introducing a new cat to the resident cat. From reading each one,  I do believe that we must let the cats work it out while we hover over them ready to intervene, if necessary. Of course, there will be hissing and some growling and lots of body language taking place. The new cat does need a 'safe haven' so always provide a room or carrier where they can hide out. They also need their own litter box and food bowls. Supervision is necessary for many days until you feel confident that they have accepted each other. My advice is to work on building a friendship right away with the cats. When they are in the same room, offer them treats from your hand and provide playtime using a feather or mouse on a rope. Try to keep them busy and separate them throughout the day to lower their stress.

Life is very busy for me right now.
Our Cali
        Mr. Ed (old blue eyes)
silly neighbourhood cat

I am having an issue with some black crows where I place food for feral cats. Oh, you didn't know I do that? yes, I'm nuts! They know my car now and wait on top of a building for me to finish up and get back into the car. Then down they swoop and grab the cat food. I didn't mind when there was just one bird. I found him rather amusing. Now there are three and they are starting to tick me off. The answer is to go later when the cats are waiting in the grass to be sure they actually get the food. As if it isn't hard enough for them? I have to carry water in the car now and I have been given many donations of dry food and soft food. These pesky crows are gigantic. They will eat a can of cat food in 3 bites. :(

Lots of cat-sitting coming up for the weekend so I am filling up the cat-bag again. New toys, fresh nip and some freeze dried chicken. They love it all. I will have two cats that are very timid and will have to work on them for the month they will be needing care. That's right...I will care for cats that long and have often.

I also have brown tabbies, orange tabbies, orange & white, beautiful greys, a tuxedo, a gorgeous black, and a cute calico. I have charged up my camera batteries for your viewing pleasure. ;-) The month of June is always busy with people visiting cottages and travelling this beautiful country. 

Sierra's favorite boxes are the ones that hold the cat food cans. She wants you to see how happy she is.

I have been asked to do some fostering of kittens but I AM THE WORST FOSTER MOM IN THE WORLD.  I fall in love and then whammo....welcome to my life kitten (& HER MOM) 
Annie & Audrey   (my girls)
 Instead, I will collect donations and get the word out for foster homes. You do what you can and there is always something you can do for your local shelters. Please donate to your closest animal shelter this summer. Even better, go there and pet the cats or walk the dogs.

We are looking forward to company comin' this weekend (thank goodness they like cats) and a dinner out to celebrate my birthday, oh, this one is brutal...the big 60, and Father's Day on Sunday.  I was born on Father's Day many moons ago so we share the celebration every year.

Enjoy the rest of the week, everyone. Weather here is fantastic and I'm looking forward to cake.

If you love dishes, check out my June 11 give-away. Draw will be June 18.

hugs, Deb


  1. Thanks so much for this informative article. Summer can be mean with our pets and so our clients will really much appreciate learning more about how to make beloved pets more comfortable on seasons like this.

    More power to your blog!

  2. I so love seeing all your pictures of the fur babies...great post!
    Thank you for sharing and have a great night!

    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

  3. Love reading about your cats.I think we cat people are a breed apart! I can kind of tell who is a cat person and who isn't. Very Controlling type of people own dogs!

  4. That cat in the cat food box looks very happy indeed! You have an awesome job! I think I'd be a terrible foster mom too--it would be hard for me to let them go! Happy Birthday!

  5. Sierra knows how to work a crwod for sure. Slowy slowy is the way we have introduced our cats, all 13 live in harmony for 99% of the time. The other 1%? we all have our bad days !
    Jane x

  6. Oh I would order online express delivery 'Sierra in a box' !!!

    hugs, Linda

  7. You do a sterling job, Deb, well done and all the very best with everything. Lovely post. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

  8. Happy birthday lovely lady !! Beautiful photos as usual ! especially the one of Sierra..lovely ! Gail x