Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

I love a parade

It was cold...to say the least. We gathered here for pizza and pop and a bottle for Bradley before heading out into the cold. Look at this armful of cuteness. He was very interested in our spandrel.

We walked down the street to watch the Santa Claus Parade once again. It is tradition in this family. We have taken in 23 Christmas parades in this little town. Riley and Bradley were all bundled up and Riley was excited to take in the lights, music and of course, to see Santa and Mrs. Claus.
They did not disappoint. They were jolly and fat,  and while Jingle Bells blared threw the speakers, they waved in our direction as they went by. Riley screamed with delight, "Look...It's Santa",  as she waved and jumped in her daddy's arms.  A precious moment for me, I'll tell ya.
Then back home for hot chocolate with miniature marshmallows and some snacks in front of the wood-stove. Oh yes, and some dancing.


Did I mention that Bradley slept through the whole thing? Uh huh! Oh, he is just too adorable. All the good photos of the parade are on video. 

Now on to cats...

                                                                  Cali
Kitchen Santa made an appearance today. Once he is placed on the island I get in the Christmas baking mode.
Cali takes this picture taking very seriously.


It is hard to believe when I look at this face that she is 19 years old  and not well. She still looks like a youngun' to me but it is very clear that time is taking its' tole on her. She now has feline dementia. She is comfortable; still enjoys her meals and her favorite chair. She was never a cats cat. She was a loner but held a high position amongst the crew. She has cat-titude and was always unpredictable with her response to attention.  She was frustrating but comical and we all love her dearly. She is the last of the 5 cats that grew up with my kids. That alone makes her very special to us.

Here are some signs of Feline Dementia
1. Loud or odd vocalization.
2.Loss of litter box training.
3. Lack of self-grooming.
4.Increased agitation, especially at night.
5.Sleeping more than usual.
6. Irritable and cranky.
7.Decreased appetite.

The first sign is usually the loud vocalization and that is what we find happening with Cali.
She will sound distressed and it is always in the wee hours of the morning. Her sound can wake you from a deep sleep and have you thinking you have just been transported into the middle of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. It is very disturbing.  But then one call of her name and she stops.
I get up and turn the bathroom tap on for her to have a drink and then she predictably saunters off down the hall to continue her sleep. The rest of the time she is fine. I, on the other hand, walk around daily with dark circles under both eyes.

So, if you are finding that your cat is experiencing this disease, please make life as comfortable as you can for her. Changing anything in their routine can be very disturbing for them. Keep life simple, predictable and hold them close. I have found Cali to be more affectionate now than ever in her 19 years with us. When I hold her close now I feel her need to be loved and appreciated. And she is, for sure.

Then buy yourself a good pair of ear-plugs.

hugs, Deb


15 comments:

  1. Please kiss Miss Cali for me. Your description of dementia reminded me of our cat Byron.I miss her so very much.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holla,
    I have a blog.
    Please, you can now follow-me this blog.
    Welcome to my blog.
    I am happy
    HERE
    www.josemariacosta.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling grandchildren; you must burst with pride. It's so hard to see our pets age, especially those who grew up with our kids.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a sweetie. Riley had a bit of dementia, too. We just have to make their lives as easy and comfortable as possible.

    Love the parade!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parade get together is so heartwarming; I can just imagine how excited Riley must have been...and that's what Christmas is for me. I'm sorry that Cali is going through this and completely understand the dark circles under your eyes. During Bailey's last year, I began sleeping on the sofa in the room where his bed was so when he needed attention I didn't wake up my hubby or anyone else in the house. I still can't sleep through the night; I think my body got use to only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, but I wouldn't have changed having that time with him. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine the fun you had watching Riley! Tiger is really going to enjoy Christmas this year!! Well Cali is gorgeous and very loved and I know it's hard watching her decline. I something think Charlie has kitty dementia but then maybe he is just an odd guy...he always has been. Big hugs to you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Sweden we have no parades at all :(
    I bet Riley LOVED to see Santa :)
    Cali is such a cute ladycat <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The parade sounds great! What a wonderful tradition! Thanks as always for your magnificent blog, and today, thank you for the info on feline dementia. Cali is precious and so loved. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh what a great time! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious memories you have made. Cali is beautiful and so precious.. Hugs GJ x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so wonderful to keep traditions alive in our families. You have precious grandchildren.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family! Your grandkida are adorable! I'm glad sweet Cali has such a loving momma to take care of her.
    hope you are having a terrific weekend Deb!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I saw your lovely photos of Cali I thought that they couldn't possibly be her because Cali was an older cat and the cat in the photos still had a bit of kitten in her. She looks amazing!
    And Bradley! Has he grown or what! Riley is starting to look more and more like her mum.
    Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how moving. Thanks for the advice. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

    ReplyDelete