Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bringing the out-doors in and donating to your local cat rescues.

My daughter walked in the house last night and took one look at Annie in a cat-bed.
"Mom, why are there leaves in her bed?"
"For the cat's to sleep on. Why do you ask?"
She looked at me, rolled her eyes like she did when she was 10 and never said another thing about it. She thinks her mom has cracked.
Annie loves the leaves and the crinkling sound they make. I guess they smell like the outdoors and all cat's take to that. Why not? It's harmless and easy to clean up.

I am tip-toeing around the dining-room today. There is a miracle happening in there and I fear a loud noise will end it all.
My orchid bud is opening.
I'm afraid to breath while I photograph it.

It has been sitting there taunting me for 3 months. I was sure it was going to wither up and bite the dust before it had the chance to open. It is sitting where Audrey can't reach it and it is going to bloom.

                                       "Oh, I can reach it. I'm just givin' you a break."

I dropped in to the local thrift shop today to purchase blankets and towels for Country Cat Rescue in Kemptville. I know the owner of this sanctuary and she keeps us well informed as to the need of donated items. It is hard times up there, too,  along with our local animal shelter LAWS (Lanark Animal Welfare Society) Both cat rescues and shelters are finding this time of year so daunting with all the cats that need care. There are hundreds right now that need homes and the situation is worsening every year. Every little bit of donations can help, especially canned cat food. They need this for the moms and kittens and the older cats that have health issues. Right now, there are over 300 cats there and adoptions are very slow. Yesterday, 2 more litters of kittens came in without their mothers. The cost of formula is high and their money donations are down. It isn't hard to understand what the reason is for the present situation at our shelters. Too many people DO NOT spay their cats and then let them outside. A friend of mine is heading up to the sanctuary tomorrow with  blankets, towels & dry & canned food.
It will help for awhile but the need never ends.

Please donate, if you can, to your local animal shelter.

hugs, Deb



11 comments:

  1. Love "Princess Annie of the Leaves". We used to bring in smallish branches that would blow out of our trees for one of our kitties! She loved crawling under them to hide in a "secret wild place" all in the safety of indoors!
    I am so sorry about the many kitties that need homes. We do support our shelter here... but as you said the need is endless. Bless you, Deb.
    Love, Lily, WA, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb: What a great idea. I might try it with Maggie but since she has never been outside since she's been with us, I wonder if she would like it? I just can't get over the relations Audrey has with your camera. You should just write a whole book about it..Thanks always for a good laugh..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures. I have three small cat's in my house for the time. They have been found outdoors and I'm helping Association of homeless cats.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful idea, to give a cat inside some leaves! Two of our cats were feral rescues and when they could not go outside I'm sure they would have loved this. So very sad that people do not neuter their cats to prevent unwanted strays. Heartbreaking how many are destroyed, it is the same here in England.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so heartbreaking Deb. You know, our Vet in Maine rescued cats and dogs. If only people would just be responsible and have their pets neutered or spayed, all of this would not happen. I pray for these little darlings every night. I wish I could care for them all. Thank you for the idea of donating to the animal shelters. It is quite distressing. Love to you and all your beautiful cats...Kane too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you, getting a bloom on your orchid! And the flower will last for weeks. Hooray!!

    The cat situation always makes me so sad. People just do not have a clue. And of course here in the country, cats are breeding all over the bloody place. :( People just seem to consider them expendable around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is heartbreaking to hear about the full shelters everywhere - we have them in the states too. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, I just made a donation to LAWS and will send a cheque to the Kemtpville one later today. If I didn't already have my two rescue kitties I would go and scoop some of those babies up right now.
    Will be collecting leaves for the cat beds today. My little girl Wicklow (who I swear is Audrey's sister from another mister) will LOVE them. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of leaves inside for the kitties!! The poor shelters are so in need! I'll try to send a donation to my local one.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW WONDERFUL......YOUR FLOWER IS BLOOMING.........I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT ALL THE STRAY CATS IN THE WORLD..........WE HAVE 3 CATS
    AND THEY ARE SO LOVEABLE.......WE GOT 2 OF THEM FROM JUST COMING AROUND LOOKING FOR FOOD, AND THE 3RD ONE WAS A BARN CAT AND THEY DIDN'T WANT HER.......IT IS SO SAD......HAVE A NICE WEEKEND...RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful treat for Audrey! We don't have leaves where we live. I could go for a box of them myself.
    Congratulations on your orchid! Getting them to bloom is a feat.

    ReplyDelete