Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A drive-thru diner for the birds & squirrels

It's a new year so the Christmas trees came down today. They got the annual un-dressing. No one in this world loves to decorate a Christmas tree more than me and no-one hates to un-dress it more than me. I just want to wiggle my too-round-for-my-face nose and have it all done. So many little boxes, wrap, containers and then all the needles on the floor......oh Gawd!!

The little tree went to bed with the decorations but the big tree found a home next to our shed to feed the birds and squirrels for the duration of the winter. I started this a couple of years ago and it works great. They get fed and have some shelter and I and my old senior cats get to watch the show. You wouldn't think they would come this close to the house but when they are hungry, they do. Better than TV. Right now the weather is warmer than usual and we have almost NO snow. Very unusual! Here's what today looked like one year ago.






So you can see what's coming and the birds and squirrels will need our help.
Tomorrow I'll pick up some seeds and nuts and suet and make some little hangy doo-dads to tie to the tree. You can actually have fun with this. 
My house already feels bigger without the Christmas decor. Now on to finish some projects. First, finish painting the kitchen and then empty out the dining-room to paint the floor. I love painted floors in old homes and this one is ancient.There is no end to giving your house a face-lift.


Off to kitty-sit and then drop in to our local pub (The St. James Gate) for the best fish & chips on this planet. 


hugs, Deb 

3 comments:

  1. That is great to put out your tree for the birds and squirrels. I bet the kitties do love the view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a friend to all animals to be sure! Isn't it amazing how big the house feels after all the decorations are put away? :)

    Enjoy your fish and chips ~ it sounds very yummy!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a fabulous idea! As you said you are also providing shelter...and food! I think that idea is genius!

    Love the photos of your beautiful Sheltie too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete