Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Upside-down Apple Cake

Remember this?
Well, the birds and squirrels are actually dining there. I had to put another apple out today.
Riley brought me a bird feeder that she made me last weekend. She's a crafty little one.
I had full intention to photograph it after it was hung in the tree but before I could do that a squirrel stole it. There I was in the drive-way yelling at a squirrel that was high-tailin' it over the fence laughing all the way, I'm sure. Greedy little monster. 
Riley had taken a toilet paper roll and added peanut butter and bird seed to it. Then attached a wire so it could hang in the tree. It was perfect. And now we know the squirrel thought so too. Oh well, everything is hungry; that much I know.
I'll have to make an identical one soon and show you.

Is she bored or fascinated with watching me bake?

I swear she has not been in the nip.
But, she does find me delightful.

as requested...

Upside-down Apple Cake
(I think it's called 'upside-down' because the apples start on the bottom)
2 organic, free-range brown eggs 
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil (I use olive)
6 tbsp. of orange juice. I have used peach juice and that was great, too.
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
12 (twelve) small apples sliced. (I use mac)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
(You'll need a good size dish for this.  9x13 works well)
Slice and place apples in a bowl.  Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar and the cinnamon. Mix into apples and place in bottom of dish.
In a bowl,  beat eggs, 1 cup of sugar and vanilla. Add oil, orange juice alternately with dry ingredients.
Beat until smooth.
Spoon this batter all over the apples.
I sprinkle just a bit of cinnamon on top.
Bake 350 for one hour.

There you have it.
This is a cake you can eat at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Don't you just love cakes like that?
I had one piece left in the fridge.


and now it's gone. (oink!)

have a great day
hugs, Deb 

11 comments:

  1. Deeeeeelicious!
    Love your selfies, Deb....you are a cutie!
    Darn that squirrel...probably stuffed it into his nest, and is set for a week or so!
    Enjoy your evening...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey.Guilty of stealing hearts!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake looks and sounds YUMMY ! I feed the squirrels to just to keep them off of the bird feeders lol ! Cute apple feeder . Pretty kitty I think she like watching you bake hehe ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey might wish you baked something with liver pate....

    Squirrels are such devius rascals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many apples? 12? or 1-2? Twelve sounds like a lot....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious Deb! Perfect for tea and a winter afternoon! You always make me laugh when describing what the kitties must be thinking! Wonderful pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! Bird and Squirrel tales, Audrey and cake. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Riley knows how wonderful the squirrel obviously thought her invention. It was so good, he didn't want to settle for part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, I just made your Upside-down Apple Cake. Oh my goodness, delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS Can I use some free-range BLUE eggs? ;))

    ReplyDelete